Monday, November 28, 2005

Orange Shirts and Rock Stars

We've packed up the trailers. It's time to go. Ron Evans has just a couple of things on his mind. He wants to offer a prayer on our behalf - for our safety, for the mission, to bless us, to guide us, and to grant us comfort. He also has these gaudy, bright orange shirts. They read simply Central Relief and have a big cross. The message is on target.

I watch my son playing the air guitar entertaining secret delusions of grandeur. He thinks no one is watching, and I allow him the privacy of the moment. I too have those momentary fantasies. I heard a song with a friend of mine not too long ago...


I just want to be a rock star
I want to be the king
I want to be on top
I just want to be a rock star
I just want to be famous
Everybody everywhere wants to be famous....

I'm not a rock star. I'm just a plain ole guy. It was funny, though. On some of the streets of Bay St Louis, wearing the Orange Shirt... I was kind of like a rock star. People knew who the orange shirters were. The Central Relief team, not Jamie - for I had just arrived, was recognized and known. It was kind of neat to be known, and I was honored to be following the reputation of those who have gone on before me. When people stop you to ask for help as you are walking or driving down the road because of a shirt you are wearing, then you know that someone else has planted a seed that is taking root. May God bless these seeds.

Some who have gone down to Mississippi have compared wearing the orange shirts to being like a rock star. I just wanted to leave the thought here that it happened. Let us not forget what has happened.

Jamie

No comments: