Friday, November 18, 2005

Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - Kim Story


In Gulfport, overlooking the beach I notice an empty lot. Most of the debris from Katrina has already been cleared from this spot. But there stands a forgotten toilet. Next to it, there’s a large spray painted sign which reads Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

In my mind’s ear, I hear the lyrics from a group called Green Day:

…I walk this empty street On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams Where the city sleeps and I'm the only one and I walk alone… My shadow's the only one that
walks beside me. My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating. Sometimes I wish
someone out there will find me. 'Til then I walk alone...


A Long Beach single mom, overwhelmed with the task ahead of her asks us, “Why are you here? I cannot understand why you would come here from so far to help strangers. It doesn’t make sense! Is there anything I can do to repay you? What can I do?”

As we explain God’s love to Peggy, my mind’s ear hears those same words uttered when I first saw the cross. “Jesus, Why are you here? I cannot understand why you would come here from so far to help strangers. It doesn’t make sense! Is there anything I can do to repay you? What can I do?”

A Waveland woman speaks of her husband who’s suffered such an incredible loss of family members, health and home. “He’s always been such a loner. His childhood was really rough so he doesn’t get close to people. But somehow, he has allowed Paul Gibbs past that wall. Whenever they talk on the phone, we all know he’s been talking to Paul because he’s different after their conversations, at peace.”

Michelle proudly points out her sister, who’s house was gutted about a month ago. Madonna approaches us with a beaming smile. “Look how different she is now! Isn’t she beautiful and happy?” We are all grateful for the emotional recovery she’s making.

Before we leave, we offer a prayer for this family and their neighbor from across the street who has joined our conversation. We also clarify the directions and appearance of the church building (sans sign) so they can find it next time.

As we drive back to Long Beach, I remember the thoughts Stuart Whiting shared that morning. Ester was put into a position of royalty for such a time as this. God was going to save his people and she had to choose whether she would join His plan or run in fear. God also has a plan in Mississippi right now. God put Paul in that smelly, wet house to reach Bubba.

Gulfport, Long Beach, Waveland, you are not alone. We care. We’re here to help. Someone out there is finding you, one person at a time, to let you know we care. We’re working along with you to clean up your homes. We’re praying with you. We’re offering you the comfort we have received through knowing our God. As we pile into our vans and trucks to return to Huntsville, you are not alone on your Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

“… I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. Before long, the
world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you
also will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father, and
you are in me, and I am in you. Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he
is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I
too will love him and show myself to him.”
John 14:18-21


by Kim Story

1 comment:

Jamie Burns said...

I remember passing the sign with Jan and Kim the first time. It was both funny and frightening at the same time. Personally, I get so wrapped up in the Bayside Park community in Bay St Louis. (All that spelling is probably bad.) I wonder what we have for them and how we will be able to leave God's promises with them. Thanks for sharing those really cool thoughts.

Jamie