Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Thoughts from Tony

When I heard Paul speak about his first trip to Mississippi my heart was moved to want to get involved. I told my wife that night that I wanted to go there and help. But I did not commit to going until the week of December 12th. I was doing other things on the weekends people from Central were going. I was either working overtime at work or working on my house. I realized later that those things could have waited. Some of the reasons that I went this past weekend were: to encourage the brothers and sisters that were impacted by the hurricane, to serve people in community near the church building and to spend time with brothers and sisters that I do not normally spend time with. Those things happen along with much, much more. The trip itself was an opportunity for me to get out of my comfort zone. I realized that I need to continue to work on that.

We had very gracious hosts. The people that I met at the Long Beach Church were extremely nice and good to us. I enjoyed meeting John Tate, Mark Hodges and other members that were there. I can tell by their outward appearance that they have inner peace. The time with the Division Street brothers and sisters was very encouraging as well. The people that interacted with the most there was Eddie, Charles, Tony and his family. They, as well the other brothers and sisters there, have a humble spirit about them. To have the disposition they have after going through what they have been through set a great example for me. The worship service was powerful in terms of the passion in which Paul preached about living by faith. Paul impressed me as someone who loves the Body of Christ. He wants to see the Division Street Church building rebuilt. He seems to be working very hard to make that happen. I pray God’s will concerning that. The Division Street Church of Christ needs to be there. There are so many people that they can minister to. I pray that they will remain in that location. I would like for God to use me in anyway he can to help Paul and the Division Street Church be successful in rebuilding. I went to encourage them and the Long Beach congregation, but I was encouraged by them.

Driving to Biloxi on Sunday and seeing the destruction that the powerful hurricane left was very humbling. But what humbled me the most was seeing people live in tents. While giving blankets to people in the neighborhood, Paul, Tamela, and I meet a man named Elijah. Elijah is living in a tent. Paul met him first. He looked to be in his late 40s or early 50s. It was hard to tell. Elijah had on a blue jacket with U.S Air Force on it. He was walking very fast. Elijah was on his way to get scrap plywood from a man named Fred that was working on his house. The reason he was getting plywood was because the lot his tent was on was covered in mud. We gave Elijah several blankets for him and the other people living in tents on the lot. At work Monday I thought about the trip to Mississippi a lot. But what went through my mind the most was Elijah and the other people living in tents and trailers. The trailers were small, but they are big, big improvement from the tents. Other people I thought about at work included: Martha Jones. She was living in her car before she got a trailer. I will think about a lady named Tiffany. She has a baby boy named Christian. He looked to be about 2 months old. She had lived in a tent with the baby and the baby’s father before she received a trailer. There are others I will think about. They include Mae, Rico Vickie and Mr. Gaines. Looking back I wished I would have asked them if I could pray for them while I was there. What I did was pray for them when I got home Sunday night. I will continue to pray for them.

I had a lot with of fun with the people from Central that went on the trip. I have always respected the families that went. The example that the Burns, Burgess, Gibbs and Whiting families have set has always been an encouragement to me. Being around them this weekend I see clearly the compassion and love they have for people. My wife is always asking me when we are going to spend time with other people. I saw the benefit of serving with your brothers and sisters and encouraging them and receiving encouragement from them. There are many things I will try harder to change about me since coming back from the coast. My interaction with people inside the Body and outside is among them. It was a coincidence that Bennie and I went the same weekend. I had been thinking about going for awhile and I happen to ask at work him if he was going. Then again maybe it wasn’t coincidence. Lord willing I will continue to be involved in the Katrina relief effort. I will serve in any way God wants me to serve. I ask some of the people that went what they noticed about how I served. What I can different or better. I look forward to other opportunities here and elsewhere.

- Tony Callins

No comments: